May 29, 2009

Diminishing Rib Cardigan


The Diminishing Rib Cardigan from the Spring 2009 issue of Interweave Knits. Based on other knitters' comments on their finished cardigans, I decided to knit at a tighter gauge than recommended and expected it to grow signifigantly during blocking. It didn't though, so it's a bit smaller than I expected. My stitch count is from the 35 1/4" size, but the dimensions are smaller due to the gauge difference. Sideways, I was able to stretch it somewhat, but the tightness of the slip-stitch I-cord edge puts a limit on how much you can stretch it lengthwise. I do like how neat the edging looks, though. And even though the tubular cast on was a bit tedious, and the tubular bind off didn't feel so much fun at first, either, I like how they look and will probably use them on future projects. Unlike many other knitters, I do not feel the need for any kind of closure for the front (possibly because mine is smaller than the cardigans that stretched too much).


Edited to add: Last night in bed I suddenly realized I forgot to mention the yarn and needles used. The yarn was Berroco Ultra Alpaca (in a shade called Gordoba Grape) and the needles 3.5 mm circulars.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great and I think it fits you perfectly! The color is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect Grape jelly color! It looks wonderful on you. I'm planning to make this same cardigan soon, but in a silvery blue...

    Do you find the top to flip open in a strance way? I've considered whether the very top two points are close enough for a hook & eye clasp...

    Selkie on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, typos suck. That was supposed to be a strange way, not a "strance way"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, no, it doesn't flip open, if by that you mean that the corners of the neckline would like flap down. I don't know if it does for other people who knit this cardigan. Maybe if you knit it in a bigger size, so that it's looser, it might do that, I don't know. But if you still want to close them with a clasp, I'm pretty sure you can easily do that, because even on my fairly tightly fit cardigan you can easily make the corners meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog via ravelry and I have to tell you how inspiring it is! Can't wait to see more.

    Hope you're well.

    Bria

    ReplyDelete