January 17, 2011

Hedera

Hedera

Probably not my most photogenic pair of socks ever, and not the most fun to knit, either, but I'm still very happy with the finished product. I love the yarn, Malabrigo Sock, and even though I'm not usually a huge fan of blue yarn, this one is gorgeous. In person it looks like bits of black and dark blue mixed together. And it's just the right amount of semi-solid, and, most importantly, soft. These were made to be a pair of bedsocks for myself, so it was important they were very comfortable to wear and not too warm. I think these would make great summer socks, also. The lace pattern makes them well ventilated.

My gauge was surprisingly tight, considering I used 2.5 mm needles, which usually give me maybe 7 stitches per inch. This time it turned out 9 stitches per inch. Luckily the lace pattern is very stretchy, so even the size small at a tight gauge is still a perfect fit. In fact, these are the best fitting pair of socks in a while, maybe ever.

While Hedera is an old Pattern from Cookie A, her new book, Knit. Sock. Love., and the Ravelry KAL inspired by it, made me knit these socks now. The lace pattern was easy to memorize, and I was even able to somewhat watch TV while knitting, but by the second sock I'd had enough of the 4-row repeat and just wanted to have them done as soon as possible. I think that's why I finished them faster than I'd expected. The repetition of the lace pattern was not helped by the fact that I decided to continue it down the heel flap (because I still don't like reinforced heels). While I enjoy the actual activity of knitting, I'm still the most satified with a finished project.

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous. It's strange but I think that I oddly can see kind of what color it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These socks are on my list! Always a pleasure to see the socks you knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the deep color of that yarn!!! That's great.

    ReplyDelete