December 19, 2012

Prickly Thistle Mittens

Prickly Thistle Mittens

Prickly Thistle Mittens

I love everything about these mittens: the pattern, the colors, and the fit. The Prickly Thistle Mittens pattern by SpillyJane was also a joy to knit, and I think these are my favorite mittens ever. Knit with Wollmeise Pure in colorways Maus jung and Moses WD, using my DyakCraft Darn Pretty 6" DPNs (my go-to needles for colorwork mittens nowadays).

To deal with the tendency of Wollmeise Pure to twist on itself, I've started using a Yarn Pet from Nancy's Knit Knacks, where you unfold a yarn cake from the outside, and that has helped tremendeously. But knitting these mittens I only had one Yarn Pet (another one is in the mail), so one cake had to be worked my usual way by pulling the yarn from the center, and the difference was noticeable. With most yarns, pulling from the center is no problem, but with Wollmeise, the added twist is remarkable. I also have a habit of re-caking yarns several times (because I like neat cakes), and if you do that by pulling from the center, more twist tends to be added by each winding.

The Ravelry project page

6 comments:

  1. You can wind it the other direction on your yarn winder, that should help with the twisting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about that, but after I read that pulling from the outside of the cake while winding doesn't twist the yarn, I assumed it then doesn't matter which direction you wind it, and that it's only the way of pulling that matters. But I will have to try winding the other way the next time to see if it does anything.

      Delete
  2. They look incredible! Again, excellent colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Another pair of lovely mittens!

    ReplyDelete