January 20, 2015

Raku-Regenbogen

Raku-Regenbogen

Raku-Regenbogen

I'm a lot happier with my second weaving project than the first one! I think I've now found the perfect way to use multi-colored yarn: pooled weaving. Wollmeise Pure in Raku-Regenbogen for the warp and some black Versuchskaninchen as weft formed a happy marriage, where the solid-colored black gives a dark twist to the colorful Raku. The selvedges and picks per inch are a lot more consistent now that I learned with my first weaving project how to control them. For the pooling effect on the warp, the warp length has to be a multiple of the skein length, and the turns at the ends of the warp have to be in a middle of a color section. For this scarf, I made the warp three times the length of the loop of the skein. With Raku-Regenbogen, or at least with this particular skein, the color segments were long, which is probably a bit more forgiving to some slight irregularities in the lining up of the colors than short segments would be. If you use just one warping peg, like I did, the length of the warp threads varies a bit, because the distance from the peg is not exactly the same to the center and the edges of the warp, and there the color segments don't line up perfectly throughout. But it may not even be necessary to line them just right; I think a certain amount of randomness can look good, too. It's safe to say there will be more pooling scarves in my near future!

Project on Ravelry

No comments:

Post a Comment